If you’re looking to embrace a trendy hairstyle with a touch of whimsy, space buns are the perfect choice for you!
These chic and quirky buns have become increasingly popular, making their way from runways and music festivals to everyday fashion.
Not only do they offer a stylish look, but they’re also comfortable and versatile enough for any occasion.
Let’s create some fabulous space buns and explore some must-try variations that will have you turning heads wherever you go.
So, get ready to unleash your inner fashionista and rock this adorable hairstyle with confidence!
What Exactly Are Space Buns?
Space buns are a fashionable hairstyle that features two buns placed at the top of your head. While similar bun styles have been worn by various cultures and during different fashion periods, it was Princess Leia’s signature hairdo in Star Wars that catapulted space buns to fame.
To achieve space buns, simply divide your hair into two equal parts, one on each side of your head. Gather each section and twist it into a bun, fastening it with bobby pins or hair ties. The result: two charming buns perched atop your head, giving you a playful and trendy appearance.
The appeal of space buns lies in their adaptability. They can be styled in diverse ways to suit various events and moods. Experiment with braids, twists, or even add accessories to make your space buns distinctly your own.
Whether you prefer a sleek, polished look or a messy, carefree vibe, there’s a space bun style to suit everyone!
How To Do Perfect Space Buns: A Step-by-Step Guide
1. Gather Essential Tools
To create flawless space buns, you’ll need the following items:
- Detangling brush
- Rat-tail comb
- Hair ties and elastics
- Bobby pins
- Hair spray or styling product (optional)
- Accessories (optional)
2. Prepare Your Hair
Start with clean, dry hair. If needed, apply texturizing spray or dry shampoo for better grip.
3. Separate Your Hair
Use a rat-tail comb to part your hair down the middle, creating two equal sections.
4. Secure One Section
Clip one section out of the way while working on the first bun.
5. Shape the First Bun
Hold the free section at the top of your head, twist it, and wrap it around itself to create a tight bun.
6. Fasten the First Bun
Secure the bun with bobby pins or a hair tie, ensuring it’s stable and in the desired position.
7. Duplicate on the Opposite Side
Unclip the remaining hair section and repeat steps 5 and 6 to create the second bun.
8. Fine-Tune and Adjust
Examine both buns in the mirror, making adjustments for symmetry and neatness as needed.
9. Lock in the Look
Optionally, use a light-hold hair spray to set the buns and help them stay in place throughout the day.
Space Bun Hairstyles to Try
Space Buns for Long Hair
Classic Double Space Buns
Reignite your youthful spirit with double space buns! This style involves parting your long hair into two sections and creating buns on both sides of your head.
Messy Space Buns
Embrace an effortlessly stylish look with messy space buns. Create two high buns, leaving some strands loose to achieve a tousled effect.
Sky-High Space Buns
Show off your confident side with space buns positioned high on your head. This statement hairstyle demands attention and highlights your personality.
Combine the charm of space buns with the allure of ponytails. Create two buns and leave some hair loose to resemble a ponytail.
Intricate Twisted Buns
Add depth and texture to your space buns by intertwining and twisting your hair before forming the buns.
Half-Up, Half-Down Space Buns
Create a lively yet romantic look by fashioning the top half of your hair into buns and leaving the bottom half loose. Add a boho touch with face-framing tendrils.
Space Buns with Braids
Mini Braided Space Buns
Create small braids within your space buns for an extra touch of cuteness. Let the rest of your hair flow freely for a chic look.
Space Buns with Braided Accents
Add elegance to your space buns by creating braided tendrils. Frame your face with delicate braids for a sophisticated touch.
Dutch Braid Space Buns
Combine intricate Dutch braids with space buns for a bold and edgy style that starts at your crown and ends with two buns at the nape of your neck.
French Braid Space Buns
Channel a romantic, bohemian vibe with space buns that integrate gracefully winding French braids.
Space Buns for Short Hair
Low Space Buns
Bring playfulness to your short hair by crafting two small buns at the nape of your neck.
Space Buns with Bangs
Combine space buns and bangs for an edgy yet charming look, perfectly complementing your short hair.
Fanned-Out Space Buns
Create an eye-catching style for short hair by spreading your tresses out within the buns. Great for thinner hair too!
Space Buns with Face-Framing Bangs
Enhance your features with loose hair framing your face while still enjoying charming space buns.
Space Buns for Curly Hair
Messy Curly Space Buns
Celebrate the allure of curly hair with slightly disheveled space buns and face-framing tendrils.
Curly Space Buns with Braided Elements
Upgrade classic space buns by adding braids to the mix, providing a refreshing twist to this fun hairstyle for curly hair.
Low Messy Space Buns
Showcase your curls with low, tousled space buns, giving your hairstyle a relaxed and carefree vibe.
Half-Up, Half-Down Curly Space Buns
Create versatile and charming space buns by gathering a section of your curly hair on top of your head while letting the rest flow freely.
Handy Hints for Anchoring Space Buns
Multiple Pins and Elastics for Stability
Secure your space bun by using several bobby pins or hair elastics. Place the pins in an X shape or arrange them around the bun in a circular fashion for better support.
Add Texture with Twists or Braids
Before creating the space buns, try twisting or braiding each hair section. This technique will give your hair extra texture and grip, making it harder for the buns to loosen.
Strengthen the Base with Hair Strands
Secure your buns further by wrapping hair strands around their base and locking them with bobby pins. This trick will create a sturdier foundation for your buns.
Find the Right Tension
Be conscious of the pressure you apply while fastening your space buns. Over-tightening may cause discomfort, a pulled-back look, or even traction alopecia.
Conversely, overly loose buns might not hold their shape. Aim for a balance: comfortably secure but not too tight or overly loose.
Use a Mirror for Symmetry
To ensure your space buns are symmetrical and perfectly positioned, glance in a mirror. Don’t forget to check the back to confirm that the buns are centered and evenly placed.
Keeping Space Buns Intact
For Active Events
- Use Strong-Hold Products: Before styling, apply a strong-hold mousse or gel to give your hair extra grip and hold.
- Double Up on Hair Ties: Secure your buns with double hair ties for additional strength, especially if you have thick or heavy hair.
- Opt for Bobby Pins: Use extra bobby pins around the base of each bun to anchor them firmly in place.
In Different Weather Conditions
- Anti-Humidity Spray: If you’re in a humid environment, use an anti-humidity or frizz-control spray to maintain your style and prevent frizz.
- Wind-Proofing with Hairspray: In windy conditions, a generous amount of strong-hold hairspray can help keep your space buns from unraveling.
Minimizing Hair Damage
Avoiding Breakage and Stress
- Don’t Pull Too Tight: When creating your buns, avoid pulling your hair too tightly to prevent tension and stress on your hair follicles.
- Use Damage-Free Hair Ties: Opt for hair ties without metal parts or use spiral hair ties which are gentler on your hair.
Hair Health While Styling
- Protect Before Styling: Apply a leave-in conditioner or heat protectant before styling, especially if you plan to use heat tools.
- Regular Trims: Keeping your hair trimmed regularly can prevent split ends, which are more prone to breakage when styled.
Aftercare for Space Buns
After enjoying the whimsical look of your space buns, it’s crucial to take the right steps in removing and caring for your hair to prevent damage.
Some key tips to follow:
Gently Removing Space Buns
- Loosen Gently: Start by carefully loosening the buns. If you’ve used hair ties, gently slide them off. Avoid pulling or tugging, as this can lead to breakage.
- Unwind with Care: If your hair is twisted within the buns, gently unwind the twists. In the case of braided buns, softly undo the braids.
- Detangle with Fingers: Before using a comb or brush, use your fingers to gently separate and detangle your hair, starting from the ends and working your way up.
Caring for Your Hair Post-Styling
- Hydrate and Nourish: After removing your space buns, especially if you’ve used styling products like hair sprays or gels, it’s beneficial to apply a hydrating serum or hair oil to nourish your hair and reduce frizz.
- Use a Wide-Tooth Comb: To further detangle, use a wide-tooth comb, which is gentler on your hair than a brush. Start combing from the ends, gradually moving up to the roots.
- Wash and Condition: If your hair feels heavy or coated due to styling products, a gentle wash with a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner can help restore its natural texture and shine.
- Deep Conditioning Treatment: Occasionally, give your hair a deep conditioning treatment or use a hair mask to replenish moisture and maintain hair health, especially if you often wear it in styled buns or use heat styling tools.
- Avoid Tight Styles Immediately: After sporting space buns, try to avoid immediately restyling your hair into another tight hairstyle. Give your hair some time to relax and recover to prevent stress and breakage.
Following these aftercare steps can help ensure that your hair remains healthy, strong, and ready for the next time you want to style it up in fun and playful space buns!
Frequently Asked Questions
Can Space Buns Suit All Face Shapes?
Absolutely! Space buns can complement all face shapes, whether it’s heart-shaped, diamond-shaped, or pear-shaped.
The key is to tailor the hairstyle by modifying the position, size, and style of the buns according to your distinct facial characteristics.
Creating Space Buns Without Bobby Pins: Is It Possible?
Indeed, it’s possible to create space buns without bobby pins! You can achieve this by using hair elastics or scrunchies.
Simply follow these steps: divide your hair into two ponytails, twist or braid each ponytail, wrap them around their base, and then secure them with hair elastics or scrunchies.
This method ensures a firm hold for your space buns without requiring any bobby pins!