Shredded chicken can be added to so many different recipes, and you can often keep some leftover chicken to use over a few meals as well.
Knowing how to properly cook and prepare shredded chicken, and the different meals and recipes it can be used in is really helpful, and it will allow you to whip up some delicious and easy meals at home!
How To Make Shredded Chicken
The best way to make shredded chicken is to poach the chicken. You can either use skinless chicken breasts or skinless chicken thighs.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. You can choose to use other seasonings such as poultry seasoning, bay leaves, or some fresh herbs.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of a large pot.
- Try not to overlap the chicken, but if you are cooking quite a few, it is fine if they overlap slightly.
- Cover the chicken with 1 inch of water.
- Place the pot onto the stove and allow the water to come to a gentle boil.
- Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the heat and leave it to simmer for up to 16 minutes, but this depends on the amount of chicken you are poaching.
- The gentle simmer will not ruin chicken like boiling might, and you just need to keep a check on the chicken as it cooks.
- Once the center of the chicken reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit, it is ready. Remove it from the pan and cover it to rest for five minutes.
How To Shred Chicken
The easiest way to shred chicken is to use a hand mixer. Place the chicken in a mixing bowl and turn the hand mixer on to low speed. This will break the chicken up into shreds and is a great way to save time when shredding a lot of chicken.
If you don’t have a hand mixer, you can shred the chicken with two forks or your fingers. Just remember to leave the chicken to cool down so you don’t burn yourself.
What You Can Make With Shredded Chicken
There isn’t a limit to what you can make with shredded chicken. It is an ingredient that goes well in so many dishes!
Here are some ideas on how to use shredded chicken:
- Chicken tacos, chicken burritos, chicken tostadas, these are all great Tex-Mex options for shredded chicken.
- Classic chicken sandwiches are always a delicious choice!
- For comfort food, you can make some chicken casseroles, such as chicken and biscuits or a cheesy chicken casserole.
- Pasta is an ideal candidate for some shredded chicken. Add whatever sauce you want and you have a proper meal to enjoy.
- Frittatas are perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner and can be bulked up with shredded chicken.
- Chicken noodle soup is the best food to eat when the weather is chilly, and you can easily whip some up with shredded chicken and a few fresh vegetables.
Easy, Simple Cooking With Shredded Chicken
Why not make a large batch of shredded chicken, to use some for dinner that night, and to keep some aside for later meals?
Having shredded chicken at home opens up so many possibilities for the different meals you could make!
What To Make With Shredded Chicken Recipes
One of the more unique recipes using shredded chicken, these little roll ups are sure to be a hit at any event (or when you are home alone on a Thursday and don’t want to put in much effort 😉 )
Get The Recipe Here
When thinking about what to make with shredded chicken, a pulled chicken sandwich isn’t the first thing that pops into my head if I’m honest…
But these sandwiches are SO DANG GOOD. You have to stop and try them. Thank me later.
Get The Recipe Here
Don’t Forget To Pin Me, Like Me, Share Me!